Saturday, January 19, 2013

Still living, still hopefully homesteading, not writing a whole lot...

So if there is still anyone out there interested in this neglected little old blog, I'm back.  I was so enjoying blogging last year and then, as is quite apparent, I took about a 6 month hiatus.  Not at all due to lack of interest, but rather, lack of time.  So as a quick recap of where I've been and what I've been doing:

Harvesting, cooking with, and enjoying veggies from our community plot.
Introducing my darlings to some friendly livestock, since we live in town and don't regularly get chances to visit with our ruminant friends.

A beautiful weekend away in Cape Breton with my love for the wedding of a much cherished and adored friend.

Spending as much time as possible outdoors with my family before the start of the university year!

Processing tomatoes...

And canning them in my new pressure canner!

Apple picking with my gorgeous girl...

and my beautiful boy!

Doing a lot of reading, writing, and...

other projects for my BEd degree (in French, in case you hadn't noticed--this makes it a little more challenging)

Taking our precious bean to the children's hospital in Halifax for an MRI (she is perfectly fine, but we were concerned).

Loving our Acadian forest during the most gorgeous (and unseasonably, worryingly warm) autumn that I have ever experienced.

Enhancing our Acadian forest with my sensitive little tree hugger, by planting hemlocks (a response to the horrible project outlined here).
Enjoying Christmas with loved ones.

Having fun in the long-awaited snow.  There's something about frigid air that makes me feel relieved, actually.  Especially after a crazily warm fall.


This is such a small fraction of how enormously busy my fall/early winter has been.  I took more than a full course load last semester, was working part time, commuting two hours a day, involved in three volunteer boards, and then having the true priorities of family and home life.  It was a bit much, but I enjoyed it.

I'm hoping to come back now to blogging, at least one post a week.  I have some figuring out to do about how I want to go about this, and what my motivations are.  But I hope there are still a few of you that would like to come along and have a read once in a while!


7 comments:

  1. Hi and welcome back. Don't worry about not writing for a while...if blogging becomes a chore it really isn't worth doing!...that is the reason I decided to cut my blog down form 6 times a week to one or two times a week, as it just gets too much!

    Your pictures are lovely, all the fruit and veg look just perfect and Cape Breton looks beautiful.

    Enjoy the kids while they are small, as time goes so so fast and they grow up really quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment! I agree about cutting back on the blog, I think I subconsciously wanted to keep up with the crazy, professional-type homestead bloggers and it was way too ambitious. I've decided to focus a little more on just really being me, and hoping to do one post a week to keep it up but not feel pressured to write something. I think what I write will be of higher quality that way, too. :) And yes, our little ones are already growing up WAY too quickly! I'm trying to enjoy them as much as I can, and we had such crazily gorgeous weather this fall that we had a lot of chances to spend outside with them. :)

      Delete
  2. It's wonderful to see you again - I've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed you too Susan! Thank you. :) I read your post on growing asparagus earlier today and it was a perfect one for me. Asparagus is by far my most beloved green vegetable (or probably vegetable in general). I'm not planning on planting it just yet, as I want to be on our forever-property before I do but I so appreciated reading your post. When I was living in Italy in my late teens, my host mother took me in the mountains and showed me where it grew wild. It was a much more slender stalk and had a very fresh taste--we picked it and ate it raw as we walked. It's a really special memory!

      Delete
  3. I look forward to more posts! It looks like you were busy living a beautiful life with your family - a perfectly acceptable reason to neglect the blogging a little ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Margaret! It was a beautiful fall and the kids are at such a sweet age. Our little boy is so interested in being outside and learning about the natural world, and our daughter is a little wild creature who by nature belongs in the woods or on a beach where she can tear around. :) Hopefully I won't neglect the blogging quite so much from here on out but I'll also be keeping it a lot more manageable... Thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you have certainly been very busy! Blogging can't get overwhelming sometimes and we all need a break once in a while. I have to limit my posts to about once a week or else it can get to be too much....and even that is at times hard to keep up with! Just keep on enjoying life and those little ones!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments and questions, and particularly suggestions!