Sunday, April 8, 2012

Oatmeal Whole Grain Pancakes

We love eating pancakes.  They are frequently requested by James, and we eat them almost every weekend.  Sometimes I even make them throughout the week.  Now that we have young children, I find that one of the best ways to visit with our friends who also have children is to host breakfasts rather than suppers--everyone is fresh and at their best for the day (and we're all up early anyway), you can cook a no-fuss meal and be completely casual and relaxed, and after breakfast you still have time to visit while the kids play. Once everyone goes home, there's still much of the day left to get things done, spend time with family, do your grocery shopping, go to the park, etc.

This recipe is a great one if you are having friends over (or if you have a lot of children!) because it makes so many pancakes, and with the oats and whole wheat, you feel a little better about serving them.  If we make it for our family alone, the leftovers are still great popped into the toaster through the week for a quick breakfast or snack.  My mother-in-law gave me the Robin Hood Home Baking cookbook last year for my birthday, which is where I got this yummy recipe.  And I haven't made anything in that cookbook yet that hasn't turned out to be delicious.  This one, however, is the recipe that we most often prepare!

The necessities.  And despite the supermarket egg carton, those are farm fresh eggs from the Summerside Farmers Market!


Oatmeal Whole Grain Pancakes - adapted from Robin Hood Home Baking

1 1/2 cups rolled oats
2 cups milk (*or almond milk, if you're dairy free*)

3 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla

1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp brown or granulated sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 - 1/2 tsp cinnamon

In a small bowl, combine milk and oats.  Set aside until milk is mostly absorbed.  Meanwhile, preheat your griddle to about 350 F.



In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.  Stir well.



Add eggs, oil, and vanilla to oat mixture.  Beat well.  Add oat mixture to flour mixture all at once, mixing until smooth.

I promise I put vanilla in there too!  Just not before I took this picture.

Here it is, ready for the griddle.


Spoon batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto griddle.  Cook for 2-3 minutes or until bubbles break on the surface and bottoms are golden, turn and cook for 2 or so minutes more until bottoms are lightly browned.  Serve hot with maple syrup, fresh fruit, yogurt, caramelized apples, whipped cream, etc.



Mmmmm... yummy pancakes.  I'm sorry I have to leave you with this photo, but we got so busy eating them that I didn't take a "pretty" photo of them stacked on a plate and drizzled with beautiful Canadian maple syrup!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!  And that you're having a wonderful and blessed Easter holiday.  He is risen.

This post is shared with Homestead Barn Hop #57 at The Prairie Homestead.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad I found this recipe! I had bought a mix from a fundraising group and loved it so much. I just mixed up the dry ingredients and poured it into my same container for easy and convenient breakfast! Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments and questions, and particularly suggestions!